February 19, 2013

Polaroid album

My mother gave me a little red Polaroid album a while back, and I have finally gotten around to scanning the pictures. The photos begin with Thanksgiving and Christmas at Foxley, then a trip to the Liberty Bell in Philadelphia, and finally Easter photos in the front yard at Foxley. Polaroids were certainly fun and convenient--but they don't have a date printed on the back of them like processed film. I know that the Polaroid Swinger camera was produced between 1965 and 1970. The photos are certainly from that era. Julie and Rich were married in 1967, and they appear together here, possibly in their first home in one. Ganny died in July 1970, and Doc Bussler died in 1972. Do you see Anna Bussler in any of the pictures?--she died in October 1967. I'm going to do my best to identify everyone below the photos, but please help me if you know who is in the pictures and when they were taken. Thanks!

Foxley Thanksgiving 1960s

Thanksgiving at Gladys and Dave's home Foxley. Around the table clockwise: Young Dave's eyeglasses and nose (my father), Rich, Julie, an unknown man whose hands are in the picture, Dottie, Vernon, at the head of the table is Gladys (my grandmother), unknown young lady, Ganny (my great-grandmother), the top of Pat's head, unknown young lady with dark hair, Liz in white sweater holding food (my mother), and unknown young lady with blonde hair. One of the unidentified young ladies is probably Dottie's daughter Anita.

Foxley Thanksgiving 1960s

Thanksgiving at Foxley, around the table clockwise: Ganny (my great-grandmother), Pat , unknown young lady with dark hair, Liz (my mother), unknown young lady with blonde hair, at the head of the table again is Gladys (my grandmother), Dave (my father), Rich, Julie, unknown man, Dottie, and Vernon Swiger.

Foxley Thanksgiving 1960s

My grandmother's sister Dorothy Beall Swiger. This is the dining room at Foxley on Thanksgiving.

Foxley Christmas 1960s Dave gets an aquarium

Christmas at Foxley: Dave unwrapping an aquarium set (my father), Gladys cleaning her glasses (my grandmother), and Ganny (my great-grandmother).

Foxley Christmas 1960s Julie with the tree

Julie next to the Christmas tree. This does not look like Foxley--maybe it was taken at her new home with Rich.

Liberty Bell 1960s a

Liberty Bell 1960s b

It looks like my grandparents went to see the Liberty Bell with Julie and Rich. The first photo shows the backs of heads: stranger, Rich, and Julie. The second shows Gladys in a fur coat, the Liberty Bell, Rich, and Julie. This is perhaps the fur coat my grandfather gave her as a Christmas gift one year, wrapped in a garbage bag.

Foxley collie dog 1960s 2

Foxley collie dog 1960s 1

Always collies at Foxley. This little one appears prominently in the Easter photos, too.

David L Brigham sleeping after dinner

Dave (my grandfather) snoozing in a wingback in his stocking feet.

Doc Bussler 1960s

The bow tie is a dead giveaway: this is Doc Bussler.

Foxley Easter 1960s

Foxley Easter 1960s

Easter at Foxley, clockwise starting at the top: Rich, Julie, Young Dave, Gladys, and Pat.

Foxley Easter 1960s

Easter at Foxley, clockwise starting at the top: Rich, Julie, Pat, Gladys, and Big Dave.

No comments: