November 13, 2008

An Introduction
























For Christmas in 1975, my grandfather--affectionately known to me as Gran--gave his family a collection of essays he had written as the Executive Director of the Recreation Register, a newspaper for Federal employees. The essays appeared monthly under the heading "Executive Etchings," and they span a period of more than a decade beginning in November 1969. Each subsequent Christmas for as long as he was Executive Director, Gran gave a supplement to the original collection. One supplement is labeled "Collectors Items" and another "Christmas Bonus." I like to think of these writings as a pre-internet blog because they provide a glimpse into my grandfather's life and times. And so, here is the preface he wrote to the collection (click on the image for a larger view):


IF I HAD MY LIFE TO LIVE OVER AGAIN...I'D LIVE MY LIFE OVER AGAIN!

I grew up hearing a Dad whom I admired like non I have ever known saying he would have no regrets if he should reach the end of his earthly road at a reasonably youn age. He reasoned that he experienced about three times as much real living in each twenty-four hours as the average man in three days. I now understand that thought for I also have lived three lives and more myself. There are no regrets and there is the bonus of having been given the opportunity to record in some small measure a fragment of a more than happy youth, a brimming young adulthood and a most satisfying tour through the mature years. The down side remains before me to be anticipated with real relish rather than fear.

To those who have in very large fashion been a warm, welcome and supporting part of this junket, I now dedicate and present touches of the past, a diary of events from one viewpoint, and a brush at some Americana as one life knew it over the last three score years - almost.

Those who shared this period with me will enjoy recalling. Those too young to have experienced all or most may be interested in how another generation lived, loved and survived. Perhaps this is one man's legacy, a trifle of heritage or just a warm heart spilling over. In any case it is for your who made the journey, wish you might have been along, or just find yourself willing to listen. Have fun!

David L. Brigham
Dec. 25, 1975

Handwritten by Gran at the bottom: To son Dave & Liz- My best critic and one who has lived the good life with us. -Mom & Dad

No comments: